Serves 4 small starter portions
• 200g sashimi-quality tuna fillet
• 1 large papaya chilli pepper and 3 bird’s eye chilies, chopped into small cubes
• 50g shallots, peeled and chopped into small cubes
• A small bunch of kemangi or basil
• 3-4 calamansi or 2 limes, juiced
• Sea salt to taste
• Kemangi or basil and edible flowers for garnish
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, briefly heated
1. Place four plates in the refrigerator for around one or two hours prior to serving.
2. Put the sliced chillies and chopped shallots into a medium bowl. Add the calamansi juice or lime and season with salt. Mix well and set aside in the fridge.
3. Slice the tuna fillet very thinly.
4. Place a teaspoon of the chilli and shallot mixture on each of the cold plates, setting the rest aside.
5. Arrange four pieces of tuna on each and season with salt.
6. Spread a tablespoon of the remaining shallot mixture across the top of the tuna portions, drizzle with warm extra virgin coconut oil and garnish with basil leaves and edible flowers.
7. Serve immediately, and enjoy.